Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Settle

Disclosure: Settle Review


Artist: Disclosure
Album: Settle
Genre: UK Garage/Deep House

5.9/10





     I almost feel bad giving Settle this score, because they almost don't deserve it.  Producer/brothers Guy and Howard Lawrence have a distinct way of blending crisp drums, high-register synth textures, sleek bass leads, and soulful vocal samples in a way that only they could.  So what's the issue here?  The issue is that this distinct combination of tones is exemplified in the same way...on nearly every song.
    Album opener Intro/When A Fire Starts to Burn puts a motivational speaker on center stage lifted by disco-beat drums and a catchy, groovy bass line.  I found myself tapping my feet and imagining how tight it would be to incorporate this into a set.  But after 2 minutes I started to realize that the structure of the song was going to stay where it was, with only subtle dynamic shifts.  A bold move, I thought.  I wonder if this pattern will continue...
    And it did, more or less.  The next tune "Latch" features guest vocalist Sam Smith, who kills with an incredibly soulful chorus complimented by a tasteful "FairPlay" sample atop a scarily familiar instrumental.  As the record went on, I found myself memorizing Disclosure's tactics.  
    It seemed as if there were two kinds of songs on this record, songs built around short vocal samples that featured busier drums and a deep bass lead in the style of classic garage artists, or songs in the style of deep house tunes, built around featured artists like AlunaGeorge or Jessie Ware.  So in order to really enjoy this record, I had to be 100% down with the vocalists.  Sadly, the vocal talent failed to live up to the standards of "Latch".  Bits and pieces stand out, like AlunaGeorge's chorus on "White Noise" or Ed Mac on "Defeated No More" (which sounded way too much like "F for You").  The melodies seemed to borrow from each other and from the UK pop scene in general.  I could tell these artists were talented, but they failed to bring the diversity that I so craved.
     So I'm left with a difficult decision.  Do I endorse this record for you to listen to?  Is my opinion on the vocal leads too personal?  Would more people like the repetition?  Perhaps, but I will say this: Disclosure has refined their sound, but there's no doubt that they need to diversify when it comes to melody and especially when it comes to writing drum tracks.  If you want the classic disco-beat in all of your tunes you'll love this record.  If you are a large fan of a portion of these guest artists it's worth a listen as well.  But if you're like me, and you approach this album with no expectations, you may find yourself disappointed.  I'll settle for a 5.9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment