Wednesday, December 5, 2012

GRAMMYS!!!

    Everyone's favorite irrelevant awards show is back, and I'd like to take this opportunity to share my opinion on some of these releases.

Record of the Year

The Black Keys- Lonely Boy

The Black Keys made it big with "Tighten Up" and they're continuing their climb with "Lonely Boy".  A simple and oh-so-very dirty guitar riff chugs while Dan's distinctive howl busts out one catchy as hell chorus.  It's one of the best cuts off the LP and I'm glad to see this band receive so much attention, as I love their earlier releases so much.

Kelly Clarkson- Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)

I did not care for this song very much and it was mainly for the lyrics.  I usually don't care that much about lyrics, but they were so apparent in this song that I couldn't help but notice the tired cliches.  I also didn't really like the melodies.  The chorus especially rehashed the same tired inspiration pop aesthetic, but without the bite and groove of say "Miss Independent".

Fun.- We Are Young

This was a good song, but not a great song.  The whole group vocal chorus grew tiresome quick.  There were some interesting arrangements and tempo changes though.  I personally think that Some Nights would have been a wiser choice, as that has more variety and is much catchier.

Gotye- Somebody That I Used To Know

This was an all right song.  I kind of liked the nod to latin music with the guitar line, and his voice is unique for pop.  I dug it, but all of it's best qualities were apparent on the first listen, so the track did not age well for me.  Once I could predict each note and hit of the song it started to bug me, but I suppose that's more the radio's fault than Gotye's.

Frank Ocean- Thinkin Bout You

A clear choice for a lead single, "Thinkin Bout You" is the perfect introduction to Frank Ocean.  His impressive vocal chops are showcased by his crooning falsetto and sensual tenor.  The beat lays back in the pocket and pretty much forces any listener to groove.  It's not my favorite track off of Channel Orange though, if I had to pick a Frank Ocean song to be nominated it would have to be Bad Religion.

Taylor Swift- We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

With each song Taylor Swift drifts farther away from pop-country and more towards just plain old pop.  The chorus is somewhat catchy and the vocals on the verse hit the ear with a near hip-hop fluidity, but the skit in the middle is dumb and there's too much space production-wise.  It sounds kind of empty to be honest.  The chords sound mechanical and the sounds just don't blend together as nicely as her earlier work.

What Should Win: Frank Ocean- Thinkin Bout You
What Will Win: Fun.- We Are Young

No comments:

Post a Comment